Know History will make its mark on a piece of Calgary history this week, as our Western office moves into the historic Nimmons Residence. Built in 1898, Nimmons Residence is one of the last surviving examples of the grand ranch houses built during Calgary’s ranching golden age. The home was built by pioneer William Nimmons, who purchased the property from the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1882. In addition to ranching, Nimmons also operated a quarry and brickworks on the land. His sandstone and distinctive red brick were not only used to build his own home—one of the first red brick houses in Calgary—but also countless buildings across the city, including Lougheed House, City Hall, Carnegie Library, and several schools.
Sitting atop a hill on what was once the outskirts of Calgary, Nimmons Residence had a sweeping view of the surrounding pastures that today make up the Bankview and Richmond / Knob Hill neighbourhoods. In 1907, Nimmons sold much of his original property to the City of Calgary as he moved into the real estate business. He remained in the home until his death in 1919. After that, the home belonged to William’s wife, Isabella, for several decades. Their descendants continued to occupy the home until the late 1980s.
Know History is thrilled to be the next to call Nimmons Residence “home.”